Modification of Divorce Orders

Changing Divorce Orders When Circumstances Change

Every man’s post-divorce experience is unique. Some men remain on relatively friendly terms with their exes, whereas for others the post-divorce relationship is cool or outright hostile. Regardless of the quality of your post-divorce relationship with your former spouse, you may need to continue to communicate on a semi-regular basis. This is especially true for dads and for men paying long-term alimony to their former wives.

Agreements or court orders regarding child support, child custody, and alimony are subject to change if either person’s circumstances change significantly. Even if you have a friendly relationship with your ex, you are strongly advised to make any changes to your divorce agreements in writing. This is even more important when hostility is high.

Post-divorce modifications of orders are very common. At Southern California Dad’s Law, our family law attorneys regularly assist former and new clients with such modifications — whether they are contested or uncontested changes. If you need to change child support amounts, or if you have concerns about child custody or visitation, contact Southern California Dad’s Law to schedule an assessment with a lawyer.

Modifications of Child Support or Alimony Orders:

  • Payment Amounts Should Reflect Financial Realities
  • Under California Family Law, modifications of child support and alimony orders are possible if financial circumstances change significantly. If the paying parent loses his or her job or gets a significant pay cut, a downward modification may be approved. If the receiving parent gets a promotion or a significant raise, the paying parent may request a downward modification. By the same token, upward modifications are possible as well.

Depending on the terms of your divorce, you may also need to file a formal request to cease child support when your child reaches the age of majority.

Modifications of Child Custody and Visitation Arrangements

  • Child custody and visitation arrangements may be modified by agreement or by court order if the change is in the best interests of the child, as determined by a family court judge. Custody and visitation modifications are most common when:
  • The custodial parent wants to move out of state and the other parent either wants to block the relocation or change the parenting plan to account for the increased distance between parent and child
  • One parent has reason to believe that the other parent poses a danger to the child and wants to change custody, revoke visitation or require supervised visitation
  • The custodial parent is failing to comply with court-ordered visitation orders

If you are being accused of endangering your child, or if your ex-wife is blocking you from spending agreed-upon time with your child, get protective advocacy from dedicated fathers’ rights lawyers.

Contact Dad’s Law at (888) 734-2895 to make an appointment. We give practical advice and work on creative solutions to difficult situations.